How do i know if the sound in my headphones is coloured?

Get a new piece of hardware? Need some advice about gear?

Re: How do i know if the sound in my headphones is coloured?

Postby Watermint » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:56 pm

You'll know they sound colored when bass or low mids sound unusually louder, or when say, quiet songs that don't really need boosting because they aren't meant to be, have an unusual amount of boost in some way.

I use sony noise cancelling headphones, which go for like $50, and even though you can get them in most stores, they have a really surprisingly flat response. The noise cancelling switch does boost the bass a bit, but I found that it comes in handy when mixing, because I can compare how my song will sound like on systems that don't use bass boosts and systems that do. It helps me determine if the lows or low mids are too muddy or not.
Watermint
Squire of Sound (Surround)

Postby MrNiceguy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:42 pm

izotonik wrote:the site says 729! I thought: pricey!

Its 729 kroner
thats not expensive at all really

JannikR wrote:If you're buying them to listen to music you don't want a flat response. You want flat when producing.

Yeah not these will be just for producing. I asked in the store and they where indeed coloured. i decided to keep those for music listening: i tried them and man where they bass boosted :roll:

Watermint wrote:You'll know they sound colored when bass or low mids sound unusually louder, or when say, quiet songs that don't really need boosting because they aren't meant to be, have an unusual amount of boost in some way.

I use sony noise cancelling headphones, which go for like $50, and even though you can get them in most stores, they have a really surprisingly flat response. The noise cancelling switch does boost the bass a bit, but I found that it comes in handy when mixing, because I can compare how my song will sound like on systems that don't use bass boosts and systems that do. It helps me determine if the lows or low mids are too muddy or not.

Yeah thing is i wasnt gonna open them in case i wanted my money back. My original question was more about: hey i cant open this package, is there a simple way to check if theyr flat or not like a website or a label on the box

And yeah im not looking for overly expencive ones (although 50$ sounds really cheap) the important part is that theyr flat and suited for producing(obviously i want the best sound i can i my the pricerange). And the bass switch sounds like a really handy tool :idea:

This turned out like the "headphones for mixing and mastering" thread witch is cool cause i originally posted this question in that thread and its pretty dead obviously so just keep in coming :)
MrNiceguy
Lord of Leads (Solo)

Postby izotonik » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:36 pm

MrNiceguy wrote:
izotonik wrote:the site says 729! I thought: pricey!

Its 729 kroner
thats not expensive at all really

what is a kroner??? :6:
just the number 729. and on the side, the hd598 at 1339. in dollars or euros, top line!

the pair you have now is cheap. get another one with flat response. then you'll have two to ab.
izotonik
Knight of Noise (Pink)

Postby MrNiceguy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:07 pm

1339 euros? i cant afford that, its like 10236 kroner!

Like i done sayed the Sennheiser are about 95 euros / 123 $

I know if i ask for "studio headphones" i'll get recomended some real expensive stuff but i really just need some medium priced flat ones for producing
MrNiceguy
Lord of Leads (Solo)

Postby izotonik » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:35 pm

don't u know anyone that owns or works at a music store? it's handy.
research. make a decision..
izotonik
Knight of Noise (Pink)

Postby MrNiceguy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:35 pm

im doin research, like makin this thread ;)
MrNiceguy
Lord of Leads (Solo)

Postby BPT » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:29 pm

I don't think you should care. Once you get used to the sound of the headphones by listening to other people's music on them, you'll be able to mix properly by comparing your tracks to all of those.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned this at all in this thread.
BPT
Lord of Leads (Harmonized)

Postby izotonik » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:17 pm

to me is very important to like a certain headphone sound. if they are what you are looking for, it's more easy to get used to them.
otherwise you'll be disappointed.. saying the bass is not that good, the mids blablabla.

I guess you can produce with any of them... if you know how it translates.

mines are audio technica ath-m50s.
izotonik
Knight of Noise (Pink)

Postby Luke Icard » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:40 pm

BPT wrote:I don't think you should care. Once you get used to the sound of the headphones by listening to other people's music on them, you'll be able to mix properly by comparing your tracks to all of those.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned this at all in this thread.

thats what i was gonna say..
brandio wrote:The original dub step was actually guys like Hendrix and they were keeping it chill for years before I bet you were even born so like for real man, so wrong.

https://soundcloud.com/lukeicardmusic
Luke Icard
Lord of Leads (Harmonized)

Postby DavalarUk » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:02 pm

I love it when people buy studio headphones... They don't need that kind flat response, or indeed even know what it is. What you've got there are some probably very nice bass boost dance headphones. Try not to mix on them, get some studio ones but don't buy beats. Buy some cheaper ones. To be honest, comfort is one of the main factors as you will be wearing them alot. Because you're a relatively basic producer, there won't be much difference even if you had the best ever. £30 absolute maximum. I have some quite nice, £30 ones for mixing and maybe £15 ones for listening on the bus. There are a couple of basic things you need to know, I watched a 7-minute video which told me all I needed to know.
DavalarUk
Squire of Sound (Mono)

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Talk