SCObass - .32 Drop [Dubstep...I Guess]

Share your WIP songs here to get constructive criticism from members! The point of this section is to help each other get better!
Forum rules
4 Simple Guidelines

1 - Once you've posted, offer your opinions on another song! That's how this whole system works :)
2 - The people that have posts that are stickied have given more critiques than they've recieved; They are the ones that deserve your critiques the most. (Updated every 6 hours)
3 - One track at a time.
4 - Post the genre in the topic title, e.g. Da Bassman - Bass fo' Brekfazt [Dubstep]

SCObass - .32 Drop [Dubstep...I Guess]

Postby SCObassmusic » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:18 am

Hey guys looking for a critique/review of a song I put out about two weeks ago. I'm currently working on another track in a similar style so comments focusing on that are very much appreciated. If you guys could let me know exactly what genre to qualify it as, that would be very helpful as well.

Here's the track:
http://soundcloud.com/scobass/32-drop

Also its the same track as the one in my signature so don't worry I'm not posting more than one track at a time.

Happy Listening
SCObassmusic
Squire of Sound (Mono)

Re: SCObass - .32 Drop [Dubstep...I Guess]

Postby matias134 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:47 am

The song has a great melody, I don't like the drums, you should try with a more powerful snare. The song has a lot of potencial.
matias134
Preset Peasant (Primeloops)

Postby TLBF » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:50 am

Cool man, I like it. Nice a full without sounding really clashy and muddy. That drop is sick too. Very melodic! This probably would be called dubstep. Or very hardstyle techno. :P
Some things I can give feedback on though,
The kick gets lost with all the crazy synths rolling around, you could sidechain all your synths, but because they're all either arp'd or gated, it will mess with your pattern. Maybe worth a shot though. Also, the snare could do with some high end, just to make it that bit better with a faster attack. Maybe layer it with a hihat.

Check out my latest track in my signature if you got the time. It's a lot darker than your stuff though ;)
http://www.soundcloud.com/ieatfunk

All comments get returned! :D
TLBF
Squire of Sound (Mono)

Postby SCObassmusic » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:26 pm

Thanks for the comments guys. I won't be throwing the corrections up now but over the summer I plan to remix and remaster all of my tracks and ill be keeping these comments in mind. I thought about side chaining when i was making the track originally but it kinda screwed up the song's flow. I'm thinking ill just boost the kick's midrange and bass, above and bellow the main basses in the song and give it a bit of a volume boost. I'm also gonna make sure i apply this stuff, especially the snare advice, to the new track I'm working on, Ill be uploading that here soon so we'll see if it works.
SCObassmusic
Squire of Sound (Mono)

Postby Dave » Thu May 03, 2012 8:04 am

Weird, interesting chord progression you've got going on there, and cool trancey synth going along with the bass sounds!

I'd suggest first working on your drums - make sure the other sounds are quieter than the percussion. At the moment the drums are getting lost behind the bass and lead synths.

The drum samples are very thin at the moment too, I'd find some more powerful, punchy ones (The drums are all about finding good source samples) - there are some good ones by Vengeance, which you can layer - particularly that snare could do with some layering to add punch.
Hi! I'm Dave from boyinaband. Here's what the band sounds like:
http://soundcloud.com/youandwhatarmy
Dave
King Dave

Postby NastyDasty » Thu May 03, 2012 8:10 am

The chords feel like they don't quite go imo. Reminds me of one of the Lucky Date synth tutorials for that first synth. Make sure that when you have a drop to make it sounds full and raise up the db by about 3. Not bad, keep at it!
https://soundcloud.com/walterwilde/walterwilde-s-y-o-d Suck Your Own Dick.

Let's get Wilde.
NastyDasty
Knight of Noise (White)

Return to Share Your WIP